Saturday, September 13, 2008

It Makes Me Nervous

The USC Trojans take on the OSU Buckeyes in just under an hour.

For years, the trash talk has flown from both sides of the country about who would come out ahead in this hypothetical competition. USC has failed to make it into the National Championship Bowl due to stupid losses early in the season, and OSU continually makes it to the BSC Championship game ranked number one but fails to show up for it, losing to lesser competition (than USC would have been) badly.

I have had every confidence each and every year this has happened that if we had but the opportunity, we could quell this trash talk once and for all by proving USC to be the better team.

And now it's finally going to happen. On our second game of the season. I'm excited because I, along with most other college football fans across the country, have been anticipating this match up for years. I think we will win, and by a large margin.

But it makes me nervous. I'm always nervous when we play, mostly because we are always in the spotlight. It makes the wins feel fabulous, but it broadcasts our mistakes, shortcomings, downfalls, and losses on every blog and sports website for weeks. Who wouldn't be nervous under this much of a microscope?

I had errands to run this morning, and while I was out and about in my USC Trojans t-shirt, I shared "Go USC!" shout outs with other game-day geared fans at the gas station, the mall, and believe it or not, even with a fireman. The community (or the side that isn't in mourning over the 59-0 UCLA loss against BYU) is pumped and ready. The team, if Pete Carroll has come through for us like he always does, is pumped and ready. We ARE the better team. There is nothing to worry about.

And still it makes me nervous.

I refuse to jinx it by saying the win is in the bag. Anything can happen, and OSU has at least one Heisman Hopeful coming to the field (though rumor is that Beanie Wells guy isn't playing).

But I do have my fingers crossed, my game day shirt on, and my cheers all ready. I hope to post back here tomorrow with stats and plays and players to tout and praise. But I guess we shall see. We shall definitely see.

Btw - a huge "Good Luck" to my Alma Matter UNT who takes on LSU tonight. Guys, if you could pull a win out on this one, I would be forever grateful. My heart is with you! Go Mean Green!!

And Congrats to Oregon, who beat Purdue in double overtime mere minutes ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

I guess you are hungover from celebration. ;-) I wanted to watch that game, but it didn't quite fit the plans at Suzette's bachelorette party. Looks like another great year for the Trojans. I can't help but notice how you claim them as your team now. Marriage does funny things. J/K of course!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I had no idea you were a college football junkie. It was all lost on me. Perhaps I will forward it to Jake, someone who will appreciate the read!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home